Pages

14 July 2005

can we dream of perfect love?

this is a story/article/wutever-u-call-that taken from fanfiction.net.
an adaptation from 'a walk to remember'.reading it tearfully in the middle of the nite made me ponder upon many things in life.as the title goes,can we dream of perfect love, can we?

That night was still one of the most unforgettable nights of my life. Of course it seemed to be the loneliest part of my life. I knew what could have happened even when I asked her to marry me. I knew what life would be for the two of us. I knew how love could be unfair for lovers like Jamie and me.
I never moved on after that incident. I could never accept that Jamie was gone until I finally came to my senses that she would never come back. I love her dearly and I knew she loved me back. I knew it was true love when we held each other’s hands, when we looked at each other’s eyes, and when we heard each other’s voice. It was love that could never be broken. It was the kind of love that could never fade away.
Jamie told me that I should never mourn for her. She told me that I should move on with my life. She wanted me to be happy. How could I be happy when everyday the only person I could only think of is Jamie?How can I ever be happy when up to now I only see her face whenever I close my eyes?
There can never be someone else who can just be like Jamie who became the most important part of my life. There can never be someone else who can inspire my life as much as she did. She was the only girl in my life.
I loved her and even though I know where she is right now, I still love her and this love seems to grow more as each day passes by.
Sometimes I hope that we wouldn’t have to go through all these. Sometimes I even get stupid that I hope that no one would ever have to die so that everyone could just live happily ever after.
But no, there isn’t a happy ending as described in fairy tales. Life is not a fairy tale.
“Landon, I have no reason to be angry with God.”
Those were the words of Jamie when she told me that in time, she would die. At first I didn’t believe her; I was really angry that I almost lost my faith in Him. One thing I didn’t know is that even in my last breathe of life, He will still be the one who will guide me all the way to Jamie.
“Landon, I don’t want to give you false hopes. Please do not have all these dreams with me. You know what may happen.” Jamie silently said those words. We were just talking about how we would spend the rest of that summer.
“No, Jamie. I will build my dreams with you. Don’t think of those. We will live the rest of our lives to the fullest, together.” I reasoned out. After all, she was the person who really taught me how to dream, how to love. I could have almost cried. I just didn’t want to cry in front of her since I was trying to cheer her up. I could only say happy thoughts. I wanted to tell her how afraid I was during those times. I feared that one day I would just wake up and see her breathless beside me. I didn’t want to think of that but it never left my mind. Fear was always in my mind. I didn’t want to lose her.
“Landon, please…” she pleaded. Why did she have to make things harder? Why did she have to put in my mind that she would die any time? “Please don’t. I want you to be happy. I want you to move on. Please don’t build these dreams with me when I can’t even fulfill them with you.” She said in a very solemn tone. I understood her. She didn’t want to make me hope that we would still be spending a very long time together. She knew her condition more than I knew it.
“Okay, let’s stop talking about this. I just wanted to tell you about my suggestions.” Somehow, I just tried to change the topic but I still wanted to dream with her. “We’re going to live at the house in front of your father’s. I already contacted the seller of the lot. What do you think?” I asked. I tried to hide my sadness. I didn’t know if we would still have the chance to live in that house together. The doctor told me that she would no longer live for more than a month. She would die any day. I was really grief-stricken when I heard it from the doctor. I couldn’t do anything. Leukemia was slowly eating her. It took away her life. It was because of that that we’re no longer together right now. Why did she ever have to have Leukemia?
“Yes, of course, it’s really great. I can’t wait to see the house. Is it built already?” she asked. I wondered why there was no trace of fear in her voice. Didn’t she feel bad about her situation? She was dying and she knew it.
I couldn’t help it anymore. I let my tears fall down from my eyes. At nights, I would cry as I watched her sleeping. I would always talk to her even though she was asleep. I told her how much I really love her and how afraid I was to lose her. I was never prepared to lose her but it seemed as though she was already contented with her life.
More tears fell down and hers suddenly began to fall, as well. “Landon, please don’t cry.” She begged. She couldn’t stop me from crying because it was what I’ve been longing to do for ages. I just couldn’t do it in front of her. I would still spend each and every day with her but sometimes she would fall asleep and those times were moments I cried because of fear. Couldn’t I just bet my life? I would have sacrificed my life for her, if only I could. I was more prepared to lose my own life if her life would be the bargain to my death. I would do anything for her; I would do anything to be with her.
“Aren’t you afraid?” I asked. Tears were uncontrollably streaming down from my eyes. It seemed as though I held too much of those tears I couldn’t cry.
“Death? Landon, I love you and you know that. The only thing I am afraid of is the fact that I am going to lose you. I’ve accepted this long ago; I guess I was prepared for it before you came into my life. Now that you’re here, I have a reason to fight death. And I tell you that I will fight death as long as I can because of my love for you.” It was really heart whelming but at the same time, I found it heart breaking. She told me that she’s been prepared to death for how many years already and the only reason she was fighting it is because she didn’t want to let go of me. But I could see that she got weaker every day, every hour, every minute, and every second. I knew she was already in agony. That was the feeling I suffered during those moments. I was afraid to let go of her; I was afraid to lose her.
Crying, I held her hands. She was still lying on her bed when she spent the days most of the time. I wiped her tears off her pale cheeks.
“I love you, Jamie.” I said. I wished she understood how deep my love for her was, is, and will forever be.
I looked at her hands and she was still holding on. I could feel her trembling. I saw how hard it was for her to say: “I love you so much.” Then I realized that with those trembling hands, she finally let go of me.
She was indeed the most colorful part of my life. I never thought that there was real love. All my life, I didn’t have faith in love. I thought that love was just something that people play with as if it were a game.
Jamie, on the other hand, taught me the real meaning of love. It was the love someone would feel when every time he would close his eyes, the only thing he would ever think of is that person he loves most; those eyes that seem to say every loving word in the world; with her voice that would only be heard even though it wasn’t really her exact words. Finally, the lessons that she shared with you, including all those dreams she made with you.

No comments: